Last weekend the left took to the streets to March for Science. Unfortunately, as Jonathan Newman noted this week, it was really a march for scientism by those who want to see bigger government. This is hardly a surprise, socialism has long relied upon propagandists seeking to disguise their desire for power under the false banner of intellectualism.
Of course the aim for public intellectuals like Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the same aim of Antifa protesters in Berkley, shutting down debate with those they disagree with.
In Theory and History, Ludwig von Mises wrote about this Marxist desire for silencing dissent:
This formula for the solution of conflicts of value judgments is certainly not new. It is a device known and practiced from time immemorial. Kill the infidels! Burn the heretics! What is new is merely the fact that today it is sold to the public under the label of “science.”
On Mises Weekends this week, Jeff is joined by Jonathan Newman to discuss the new wave of Fake Science. They cover the recent March for Science — and how politicized pseudoscience peddled by the likes of Bill Nye silences debate and drives dubious public policy.
And in case you missed them, here are this weeks Mises Wire articles, covering a wide array of topics including the NFL draft, false science, history, the French election, and the Fed.
- Colorado House Votes to Bar State Agents from Assisting Federal Police by Ryan McMaken
- The March for Science Attacks Free Thought by Carrie Burdzinski
- ESPN is a Reminder That on the Market, No One Is Too Big to Fail by Tho Bishop
- The NFL Draft and the Division of Labor by Doug French
- Atlanta Fed Cut Q1 GDP Forecast by C.Jay Engel
- Are Oil Prices to Blame for the Venezuelan Crisis? by Daniel Fernández Méndez
- Mises on Open Borders by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.
- Herbert Spencer Explains the Difference Between Politics and Private Enterprise by Gary Galles
- Gary Cohen for Fed Chair? by C.Jay Engel
- Was J.B. Say an Austrian Economist? by Max Petrosky
- The Jefferson Nobody Knows by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
- Candidate Trump: "I Love Wikileaks." President Trump: "Arrest Assange!" by Ron Paul
- Under Socialized Medicine, The State Owns You by Justin Murray
- A Conversation with Louis Rouanet on the French Election by Jeff Deist
- Neil Ty, The Scientism Guy by Jonathan Newman
- Will the IMF Bail Out Greece Again? by C.Jay Engel
- What the Wage Equality Crusaders Don't Understand by Brittany Hunter
- What Does Steve Bannon Want? by Hunter Lewis
- March For Science It Is Not by Hunter Lewis
- Efficiency: Pentagon Big Bomb Killed Militants at $4,722 Each by Dale Steinreich